Földtudományi képzés a gyakorlatban
Earth Sciences MSc
Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences (IGES)
- Duration of training: Full - Time 2 years/ 4 semesters (120 Credits)
- Deadline of application: 1/July
- Starting date: 1/ September (autumn intake only)
- Tuition fee: 8000 Euro/academic year (consists of 2 semesters)
- Non-refundable application fee: 140 Euro
- Instruction Language: English
- Head of the Institute: Szabolcs Ákos FÁBIÁN associate professor
- Academic Coordinator: Tamás Budai full professor
Description of the program:
The Earth Sciences master's program provides a multi-disciplinary approach: field work, analytical methods, lab experiments, numerical simulation, e-learning, case study analysis, and teamwork. It will allow you to understand the natural processes which have shaped Earth in deep time through to those that generate environmental change today. In addition, you'll undertake courses designed to broaden your understanding of the role of science in society and industry and to improve your science communication skills.
Why should you study Earth Sciences MSc at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Pécs?
A master’s degree in earth sciences can lead you down a wide range of professional paths in science, environmentalism, education, and much more. Study in the Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences: experience research-led teaching from renowned scientists, and enjoy life-changing, free field trips. Acquire invaluable skills and hands-on experience ahead of an exciting career without limitation. In the IGES, staff, students, and alumni have contributed through work on public engagement, water quality, soil ecology, geo-energy, and teaching on different MSc degree programs, to name just a few of our inputs. You'll join a close-knit, multicultural student community and benefit from small-group working and a close working relationship with renowned, world-leading teachers in their field.
- Demonstrated evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency. Certified B2 intermediate English knowledge
- Motivation Letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) from 3000 to 3500 characters
- CV in English
- Transcript of previous studies (and their English translation)
- The payment receipt of the application fee of 140 Euro
- Medical certificate, vaccination card (showing that you are immunized against HEP B and HIV test)
- Obtained BSc degree as follows:
In case the BSc degree was obtained from the training field of Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences; Earth Science Engineering; or Environmental Engineering; enrollment into the master's degree program is conditional.
Full credit value counting. No extra credit is needed.
The minimum number of credits required to enter the Master's program is 65 credits from the listed area below:
- at least 15 credits from Natural Science subjects (i.e. physics, chemistry, biology);
- at least 50 credits from Earth Science subjects (i.e. mineralogy, petrology, physical geology, paleontology, meteorology, etc.)
If the applicant could not collect the minimum 65 credits, it is required for the applicant to have at least 40 credits in the above-listed areas. The missing 25 credits must be obtained and completed during the master's studies as specified in the Code of Studies and Examinations of the University of Pécs.
After you have submitted/uploaded all the required documents, a professor from the IGES will contact you to suggest a date for a Skype interview.
Typical questions that can come up during the interviews:
- Why did you choose the University of Pécs?
- How do you see your English level?
- Which subject/what did you study for your bachelor's degree?
- At which university did you get your degree? And when did you get it?
- What was the topic of your BSc diploma?
- What grade did you get for your Thesis defense?
- What was your GPA during your BSc studies?
- What is your preferred topic within earth sciences?
- How will you finance your studies and your living over here in Pécs?
- What are your future career plans after graduating from UP?
- 1st year
- applied geophysics
- geochemical analysis
- hydrogeological modeling
- atmospheric physics
- applied geomorphological mapping
- raw materials’ value chains
- modeling and simulation in earth sciences
- geological process modeling
- geological instrumentation and analysis
- geological mapping fieldwork
- 2nd year
- paleoenvironmental reconstruction
- physical geographical perspective on climate change
- case studies in environmental geology
- geological research
- GIS database modeling
- applied mathematics for earth sciences
- environmental geology in the field
- regional geology
- Earth observation
- diploma work practice
Future Job Opportunities:
A Master of Science in Earth Sciences gives you the opportunity to gain a wide range of knowledge and skills that are relevant for employment in industry, energy, natural resources, government agencies, the environmental sector, and education, as well as in wider science and policy areas. The MSc in Earth Sciences has a very successful track record in terms of postgraduate employment at the professional level. Graduates take up careers in the public and private sectors in Hungary and the EU, and many have gone on to reach senior levels in industry, academia, and governmental positions, in the EU and overseas. Many take up Ph.D. opportunities and move into research. A number have won national and international awards for their contributions.