- Duration of training: Full - Time 2 years/ 4 semesters (120 Credits)
- Deadline of application: 15/July
- Starting date: 1/ September (autumn intake only)
- Tuition Fee: 8000 Euro/academic year (consists 2 semesters)
- Non-refundable application fee: 140 Euro
- Head of the Institute: Professor Dr Robert GÁBRIEL
- Academic Coordinator: Edit POLLÁK Ph.D. Associate Professor
Description of the program:
The Biology MSc line offers a full 2-year-education in biology. The study program for full-time training offers a complete education in biology, with special directions particularly in molecular biology (neurobiology, genetics, microbiology), and animal and plant ecology. The basic subjects are presented in lectures, seminars, and laboratory or fieldwork. The program provides a wider view of the related scientific fields (biophysics, biological chemistry). The students will familiarize their knowledge with the most modern instrumentation in our new research centre. It covers all aspects of education, research, and innovation in the fields of biomedical, natural, and environmental sciences. It also provides an opportunity to join the research work in 22 different research groups operating at the Faculty.
Why study Biology MSc at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Pécs?
Highly educated teachers with great professional research backgrounds.
The familiar environment in the education, possibilities to join research in many fields of biology. Safe and neat University City with more than 4000 international students, exciting historical and natural environment.
- Demonstrated evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency. Certified B2 intermediate English knowledge
- Motivation Letter
- CV in English
- Transcript of previous studies (and their English translation)
- Motivation letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) from 3000 to 3500 characters
- The payment receipt of the application fee of 140 €
- Medical certificate, vaccination card (showing that you are immunized against HEP B and HIV test)
- Obtained BSc degree as follows:
|Biology BSc||Full credit value counting. No extra credit is needed.|
|In case of any other BSc degree
the enrolment into the master's degree program is conditional
|The minimum number of credits required to enter the Master's program is 100 credits from the listed area as below:
- at least 6 credits from Mathematics subjects
- at least 6 credits from Informatics subjects
- at least 4 credits from Physics subjects
- at least 20 credits from Chemistry subjects
- at least 60 credits from Biology subjects
|If the applicant could not collect 100 credits, it is required for the applicant to have at least 70 credits in the listed areas based on his/her previous studies. And the missing credits must be obtained and completed during the master studies as specified in the Code of Studies and Examinations of the University of Pécs|
After you have submitted/uploaded all the required documents, a professor from the Institute of Biology will contact you to suggest a date for a Skype interview.
Typical questions that can come up during the interviews:
- Why did you choose the University of Pécs?
- What is your preferred topic within Biology?
- What was the topic of your BSc diploma and what grade did you get for your Theses defence?
- How will you finance your studies and your living over here in Pécs?
- What are your future career plans after graduating from UP?
- 1st semester
- Biophysics lecture
- Biostatistics seminar
- Molecular Cell Biology lecture
- Molecular Genetics lecture
- Evolution of the structure and function in the living being lecture
- Ecological fundamentals in environmental protection and natue conservation seminar
- Biotechnology lecture
- Proposal preparation and scientific communication seminar
- 2nd semester
- Regulatory biology lecture
- Developmental and stress physiology of plants lecture
- Immunobiology lecture and practice
- Specialization from the second semester offers more laboratory practice and courses centred one of the following topics:
- Land Ecology
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular Plant Physiology
- Regulatory Biology
Further, specialization related lectures, seminars and laboratory practice. Students will also be required to do their own project work, which includes laboratory experiments and discussion of their own results in a diploma thesis under the guidance of a supervisor.
Future Job Opportunities:
- Further Doctoral Studies in Biology (PhD)
- Higher education institutions
- Research institutes
- Health care industry
- Food industry
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Agriculture industry
- Biotechnology companies
- Nature conservation institutions
- Environmental protection institutions